Feeling under the weather? It’s that time of year when cough and cold symptoms spike. First, it’s important to recognize whether your symptoms are a cold or something more severe, like the flu. The two have similar symptoms, but the flu can be more intense. We’ll delve into that a bit more below, along with our go-to essential oils for cough and cold.
These statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration. Opinions are mine alone, and may differ from yours. Use at your own risk. No compensation was received, although affiliate links are included.
Essential Oils for Cough and Cold
Common Cold Signs and Symptoms
While cold and flu symptoms can be similar, the common cold is typically milder and does not generally result in serious health problems. Common cold symptoms include:
- Gradual onset of symptoms, not abrupt like the flu
- Headaches and fever are rare
- Mild to moderate cough and chest congestion
- Stuffy nose
- Sore throat
When we feel the onset of a cold we start an essential oil regimen to help alleviate the symptoms quicker.
Our go-to essential oils cold recipe includes:
- Raven is a blend of Peppermint, Eucalyptus, and other essential oils which creates a cooling sensation when applied topically to the chest and throat.
- RC is a powerful blend including three types of Eucalyptus oils which is wonderful when feeling under the weather. It not only supports the immune system but assists with proper lung function too.
- Thieves is one of our favorite essential oils – we actually use it daily to maintain a healthy immune system.
Apply a few drops of Raven to the upper back, behind the ears, and down the sides of the throat. Followed by a few drops of RC to the chest, and Thieves on the temples and bottoms of the feet. Apply as needed.
With a cold typically comes coughing. We like these essential oils for relief:
Blend 10 drops of Raven, 10 drops of RC, 5 drops of Lemon and 5 drops of Peace & Calming. I typically place this blend in a rollerball applicator for continued use. I just give it a swirl before applying to make sure the blend is thoroughly mixed. Rub the blend on the chest, throat, and neck. It can also be diffused if you prefer.
The benefits of Lemon essential oil are that it’s a bright, cheery EO that can help when you’re feeling down. It also promotes energy and mental clarity. Peace & Calming is another favorite of ours and one we use daily. The comforting aroma does exactly like its name, it calms stress and tension. We love this oil, especially for the boys.
While these solutions may not work for everyone, we’ve found these essential oils for cough and cold to be beneficial and excellent natural alternatives!
For other popular essential oils uses, check out this section of myboysandtheirtoys.com.