My family tree stems from Sicily and Ireland, and although the Sicilian side of me is a smaller percentage, you would not know that based on the many Sicilian traits that I possess. One thing I can never get enough of is Italian food. I can eat it every day and still not get tired of it. So when I met my husband-to-be over 10 years ago, within minutes he was reciting his Mom’s lasagna recipe to me, I was hooked!
This month World Market is teaming up with Joey Fatone and his new TV show My Family Recipe Rocks, which features amazing hometown cooks across America. Tune-in Sunday’s at 8:30p/7:30c on the Live Well Network.
I decided to go back to where it all started with Nate and I by recreating his Mama’s lasagna!
This month World Market is featuring authentic Italian food, so I picked up several of the ingredients including pasta sauce, lasagna noodles, olive oil, wine, and caramel biscotti for dessert. How delicious does this lasagna look?
Italian Lasagna Recipe with Spinach
36 oz of pasta sauce
1 lb of shredded Italian blend cheese
16 oz of cottage cheese
1 box of lasagna noodles
1 lb of beef
1 lb of sausage
1 bag of fresh spinach
spoonful of sugar
- Boil noodles.
- In a separate pan cook sausage and beef together until brown. Add pasta sauce & sugar and let simmer.
- Saute spinach leaves in olive oil and butter.
- Brush olive oil on a glass 9 x 13 dish.
- Then begin layering. First cover the bottom of the dish with lasagna noodles, then top with meat/sauce, next spread cottage cheese generously on top, then layer with spinach leaves, lightly spread a layer of Italian blend cheese, then add another layer of lasagna noodles. Top the dish off with the remaining meat/sauce, cover generously with remaining Italian blend cheese. Poke a few holes in tinfoil and cover.
- Bake on 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then 360 degrees for the remaining 40 minutes.
Mangia! Which is Italian for let’s eat.
How would a trip to Venice, Italy sound on World Market’s dime? That’s right, YOU can enter to win this 6-day culinary trip for 2 to Venice, Italy, including airfare! Don’t forget to come back daily for extra chances to win the #GourmetGetaway. Good luck!
Head to World Market now to shop for International foods!