Last month we started a new tradition in our household called No TV Tuesdays! I know what you’re thinking….what? No TV! How can you live? As a TV and movie-loving family, we knew it would be a challenge but we’ve found so many great benefits by adding this change to our life, and I want to encourage all of you to consider it for your family too! Start the new year off right with these family night ideas.
Family Night Ideas
New year goals are right around the corner. Why not add No TV Tuesdays to your list! Trust me, this is a habit worth breaking. There are 6 other days in the week – you can do it!
Instead of everyone disbursing to their own space to binge shows on the TV, computer, or tablets, come together for family night. If Tuesdays don’t work for you, find another night during the week you can dedicate to family night.
The reason we decided to kick TV to the curb one day a week (yes you read that right – the entire day and night are TV Free) is because we found ourselves disconnected as a family. The boys are growing up and with only a few years left before their social life really kicks into high gear, we wanted to make the most of our time together.
In our case, we chose to make it a completely TV-free day and it’s actually lowered our power bill by doing so! The best benefit is really connecting with one another without distractions.
Here are some of the family activities we’ve done so far:
- Game nights – some of our favorites are Apples to Apples and HedBanz – Both are fun games that make you quick on your feet but also learn more about how each other thinks.
- Make a meal together. There are so many meal services out there that deliver all the ingredients right to your door. You could always opt for a new recipe and grab the ingredients from the store too. Divide up the tasks so everyone’s doing something. Don’t forget dessert!
- Head to the park. Do you have a favorite space in your community? Take the family for some outdoor fun like walking, biking, playing catch, etc. Prefer to stick close to home? Here’s a free Neighborhood Scavenger Hunt printable.
- Do something creative like paint. There are so many premade kits available, just pick some up and get painting. Or book an art class like Painting with a Twist. We’ve had a blast doing this activity! Get creative, it doesn’t have to be a canvas painting – paint pumpkins, clay, seashells, and more!
- Play video games together. If your family is like mine, they are really into video games. Find something everyone can play like the all-new Just Dance 2022 available on Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, and PS5. Yes, I realize this uses a TV so everyone can see/play, but the point is you’re doing something together as a family. Just don’t make it an all-night thing – you’ll be tired after a few dances anyway! 😉 Check out our IG Reel below from last night’s fun!
View this post on Instagram
Other family night ideas include:
- Going to a live sporting event
- Checking out a new local restaurant
- Going bowling or making your own bowling game at home with plastic bottles and a ball
- Learning a new language together
- Having a family bible study
- Build a fort or building block activities
- Start a family tik tok or Instagram page and make funny videos
- Have a water balloon fight in your yard
- Support a charity by volunteering your time at a food bank
Basically, have fun with your family by connecting and being present in the moment. We are having a lot of fun on our Tuesday nights instead of sitting in front of the television screen (usually in separate rooms).
I hope this encourages you to begin the new year with some fun ideas for family nights, whether it’s staying indoors or going out. Low budget or no budget – there’s something on this list for everyone!