The coronavirus pandemic has put quite a damper on our social lives. With most states requiring schools to close anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, parents are left with limited resources to keep their young ones entertained at home. Here’s a list of virtual playdate ideas you can set up between your kids and their friends, giving you a much-needed break so you can get a few things done too!
All of us are bound to get stir crazy at some point, so why not keep social interactions going virtually.
Virtual Playdate Ideas for Kids When Stuck Indoors
With options like Skype, Facetime, and even Facebook Messenger video, it’s easy to find a way for kids to see their friends even when stuck indoors. Simply set up a playdate with the friends’ parents so the kids can entertain one another with these virtual playdate ideas!
Try these fun ideas:
- Play classic games like Hedbanz, Charades, Pictionary or Guess Who. If both parties own the same version of the game, then it’s an easy setup!
- Read to each other. The kids can pick out one or two of their favorite storybooks and read it aloud to one another.
- Crafts. Find a printable craft online and have each parent print it out, then the kids can do it together and show off their finished project.
- Play-doh! Let kids create different people, places, or things out of play-doh and have the other child guess what it is.
- Build. Have the children create designs using blocks, K’Nex or Legos and show one another what they made.
- Online Trivia is always fun! Create a free account here and you can make your own, or select a pre-made kids trivia game already available. (We’ve been using this for family trivia night with family in multiple states. It’s like a family reunion on Zoom!)
- Do a magic show. Kids love to use their imagination! Have them take turns creating their own magic for one another.
- Put on a concert or talent show. Plan this ahead of time so your child has plenty of time to practice their talent, whether it’s singing, dancing, baton twirling, hula hooping, whatever it may be!
- Virtual show and tell. Kids love to show off their toys and they can do it right from their own home!
- Draw or color together. Depending on your child’s age, you may have them use a coloring book, or even have them draw a portrait of their friend they are chatting with, and show it to them once finished.
- Do a science experiment. This one may need a parent’s help depending on the task.
- Plan a virtual scavenger hunt with this free printable!
- Math facts. Learning can be fun! Have each parent print out this FREE Math Facts Game and the kids can take turns answering questions.
While the kids are busy entertaining themselves, it gives you the opportunity to get a few things done around the house, or maybe take a short nap. Doesn’t that sound ah-mazing?
Looking for a few more ideas to keep kids entertained indoors? Try these DIY Slime crafts – your kids will think you’re the coolest parent ever!