In addition to a heart healthy diet, follow some of these simple tips for a heart healthy lifestyle:
- Know your heart healthy numbers like HDL (good cholesterol) and LDL (bad cholesterol) numbers.
- De-stress your heart. Stress raises blood pressure, heart rate, and levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Remove yourself from stressful situations, unplug from TV and online news that may trigger stress.
- Find a workout buddy to help you stay motivated. Begin with 20 minute brisk walks and work your way up to a 60 minute cardio workout.
- Stop smoking, including inhaling secondhand smoke. A recent study found that women who are exposed to other people’s smoke increased their risk of heart attacks by 69%, strokes by 56%, and peripheral artery disease (PAD) by 67%, when compared with women who did not hang out around smokers. Source WebMD
- Drink a glass or two of alcohol or wine per day. It’s been known to raise the HDL cholesterol levels.