Summer is in full swing, and while we humans indulge in our favorite frozen treats to beat the heat, our furry friends deserve a little cool-down fun too! Enter dog ice cream treats—a delightful way to spoil your canine companion!
My SIL has the most adorable French bulldogs and made these DIY doggy ice cream treats that her pups loved, and now we’re sharing that recipe with all of you!
Dog Ice Cream Treats
Dog ice cream treats aren’t just about indulgence; they can also provide many nutritional benefits. This recipe recommends local honey which is full of antimicrobial and antifungal properties that can help your dog stay healthy.
This cool treat requires only a few ingredients and is so simple to make!
Measurements with easy to follow printable directions are at the end of the post.
- 16 oz whole milk yogurt
- 1 Tbsp “your” local honey
- 10 organic strawberries
- 1 cup organic raspberries
- 1 organic banana
Makes about 4 1/2 cups of mixture
- Wash strawberries and raspberries, and remove tops of strawberries—place in blender and purée fruit. Using a mesh colander over a large bowl, pour puréed fruit and use a spatula to separate the seeds from the fruit.
- In a blender add yogurt, banana, honey, and puréed fruit. Blend until smooth.
- Place silicone molds on baking sheets and pour mixture into molds. I filled 6 dog silicone molds. Place filled molds in the freezer and freeze for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Once frozen, pop treats out of molds and place them in a freezer-safe container. Serve your dog these cool treats all summer long!
Just like us, dogs appreciate a variety of flavors so you can easily switch out some of these ingredients for other ones your pups might enjoy. Some examples are peanut butter and banana or throw in a hidden veggie too!
Doggy ice cream treats are a fantastic way to treat your pup but it’s essential to remember that they should be given in moderation. Just like with any treat, excessive consumption can lead to an upset stomach.
So, this summer, when you reach for that ice cream cone, consider including your beloved pup in the cool-down fun with their own dog ice cream treat. Enjoy!!