It’s never to late to begin a new habit. I saw this quote and thought it was fitting for today’s post: “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” Positive habits, like exercise, can have beneficial results. Are you ready to create your own path?
5 Reasons to Exercise
- Weight Loss – this first one is a no brainer. When you engage in physical activity, you will see a decrease in pounds. The more intense the activity, the more calories you will burn. A general goal is to exercise for 30 minutes or more a day. This is completely doable. There’s 24 hours in a day, so carve out 30-45 minutes and make it count!
- Health Conditions – Being active boosts good cholesterol and decreases unhealthy triglycerides. When you exercise, your blood flows more smoothly, resulting in lower risks for cardiovascular diseases. Regular exercise can help prevent a wide range of health conditions including type 2 diabetes, stroke, depression, and even arthritis.
- Sleep – If you struggle with falling asleep or staying asleep, exercise can benefit you. Regular exercise can help you fall asleep faster and give you a deeper sleep too.
- Boost your Mood – Turn that frown upside down with exercise. It’s true! Fitness stimulates various brain chemicals that can leave you feeling happier and more relaxed. Exercising is a great way to boost your confidence too.
- More Energy – It sounds like an oxymoron, right? You’re tired after a workout, but it actually boosts your endurance. Regular exercising helps your lungs and heart work more efficiently, providing you more energy to go about your day.
I can attest to numbers 3-5 from personal experience. I’m a fairly healthy adult in my 30’s, but post having kids, I found myself tired, drained, and sometimes grumpy. Exercising has given me my old self back!
Speaking of exercise, Planet Fitness is having a special one-day membership sale on August 15 (that’s Monday)! New members can join any location online – 1 day, $1 down, $10 a month, no commitment. Additionally, Planet Fitness is also offering a PF Black Card® membership sale, for $1 down and then $19.99 a month.
Planet Fitness focuses on general fitness and caters to “everyday people” – whether you’re a first timer or regular, there’s something for everyone. Push aside those concerns and step into Planet Fitness to get moving. They foster a Judgement Free Zone® – a non-intimidating, hassle-free, welcoming environment that makes everyone feel comfortable. There aren’t any high pressure sales people either. With more than 1,100 locations – it’s easy to find a gym near you. Many locations are open 24/7 too! They also have two circuits which help members get a full workout in 12 or 30 minutes. The circuits combine strength and cardio, and operate on a red light / green light system.
The PF Black Card® membership, at $19.99 a month, includes additional amenities such as the ability to bring a guest every day at no additional charge, access to all 1,100+ Planet Fitness locations, use of massage chairs and beds, and more.
Planet Fitness issued a summer survey on June 23 and it has some interesting results:
- One-third (33%) of Americans would rather go to the dentist than wear a bathing suit this summer.
- “beachtimidation” is just as real as “gymtimidation,” with nearly half (46%) of respondents claiming they do not feel confident about their body in a bathing suit.
- 76% of people admit they are more critical of their own appearance in a bathing suit than that of others.
If you’re ready begin a new habit that results in positive changes, consider adding an exercise routine to your day. I made that change several months ago and I couldn’t be happier!
Leah Shumack says
I just got my workout buddy and Monday we’re at 2 weeks and going strong! Wish the sleep better would start to kick in but definitely feeling better and have more energy!
That’s awesome Leah! It will come, I’m sure. Keep up the great work. 🙂
susan smoaks says
I like to workout because it makes me feel better mentally. i love the feeling i get when i know i am taking good care of myself.
Lauryn R says
What a great post!! 🙂 Exercise is so beneficial, and it truly does make you feel amazing! I have Rheumatoid Arthritis but you wouldn’t know it because I do yoga and exercise daily! I do not take any medication for my illness either.
Jessica Cox says
You look great, I like to walk just to be outside with my kids and have fresh air.Its also a great time for me to engage my two older (tweens) in conversation.
elizabeth miller says
I had to let off going to the gym during summer break. I can not wait for my daughter to start school so I can go in the mornings again. I am f=definitely starting to feel the sluggishness from not going in over 2 months and just don’t feel as fit as I did.
Brenda Haines says
I have been slacking for a year and now I am over weight by about 30 lbs, for the first time in my life. I need to be more active! My 30s are not a kind time..
Audrey T says
This post rings true. Exercising definitely boosts my mood and I can get cranky if I don’t go for a few days.
Chrissy McPherson says
Very good tips. I have been trying to get more exercise since having our preemie son, but it seems there is always something here at the house to do & when I do get a free few minutes I just want a shower, food or sleep. I am feeling like a true hermit as I barely leave the house anymore. After reading this I am pledging to get out this week & at least take the baby out in the stroller for a short walk. Some fresh air & exercise would really help me feel not so isolated.
Chrissy – I can relate as a SAHM. It’s tough getting yourself back out there. You can do it! I’m right behind you! 🙂
Janet W. says
You look fabulous! I’ve been trying to walk more to get some exercise several times a week. I’m starting to notice a little difference.
Thanks Janet – and that’s great! Every little bit makes a difference.
allyson tice says
you look fab! i really neeed to get into a better routine with my exercise! i like the benefits you listed..i know i sleept so well if i exercise!
ashlee schnelle says
Looking great chica. I so need to start working out some how. Limited on sitters and $$ so trying to . find something at home
Thanks! At home workouts are great too! I have a few I can recommend when I can’t hit the gym.