Sleep plays a huge factor in many other facets of our lives. Poor sleep can lead to weight gain, inadequate brain function, and negatively affect our hormones. If you’re looking for ways to improve your sleep, these seven tips to sleep better at night will help. They are really easy to follow but takes some commitment on your part to create better sleeping habits.
This is a partnered post. All opinions are my own.
7 Tips to Sleep Better at Night
- Unwind in the tub early. Believe it or not, taking a warm bath right before bed can negatively affect your sleep patterns. Your body needs time to cool down before drifting off to sleep. Consider taking a bath 90 minutes prior to hitting the sack.
- Avoid late-night snacks. This is an easy one. Eating meals too close to bedtime can result in poor sleep and hormone disruption. Choose to eat meals at least 3-4 hours before turning in for the night.
- Optimize your sleep environment. I can’t emphasize enough how your bedroom’s environment can directly impact your sleep patterns. Consider adding a lavender plant to your room for natural relaxing properties. Additionally, I highly recommend black-out curtains. They made a world of a difference for me personally. Dark, cool rooms allow your body to drift off naturally without interruption.
- Clear your mind. Just before lying down, take 5 minutes to do some light stretching, yoga, or meditation. There are several free apps to help you; my favorites are Down Dog and Simple Habit. Also, If you’re looking to clear your mind while sleeping, putting a few crystals under your pillow can be a simple and effective way to make positive changes in your life. Different stones are said to have different meanings, for example, Tanzanite gemstone meaning is believed to promote compassion, understanding, and self-awareness, while Amethyst is said to promote calmness. So, choosing the right crystals for your needs can be an important part of achieving balance and harmony while sleeping.
- Reduce blue light exposure. Light tricks your brain into thinking it’s daytime. Blue light has the worst effect on our brains. It’s recommended to turn off the TV 2 hours prior to bed. Consider reading a book to help you drift off. If you keep your phone on throughout the night, turn it over so notifications don’t light it up throughout the night, causing you to wake up and lose sleep.
- Wake and Sleep at consistent times. Being consistent with your wake and sleep times can aid in quality sleep long-term.
- Consider a better mattress and pillow. Bed quality greatly affects your sleep, and can cause back and shoulder pain. A good quality mattress, like Tomorrow Sleep’s hybrid mattress, provides the perfect balance of comfort and support. A quality pillow is just as important!
Pin this infographic below to remind yourself of healthy sleep habits, and share it with your friends. They will thank you!
Check out our full review of the Tomorrow Sleep hybrid mattress here.
Are you in need of a new mattress? You’re in luck! Tomorrow Sleep and My Boys and Their Toys have teamed up to offer one very lucky reader their choice of mattress size (Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen or King only). That’s up to an $1100 value! We want to help you begin the new year with the best mattress available, so you can implement these tips to sleep better!
Enter below for your chance to win a Tomorrow Sleep mattress in your choice of size!
Not sure how to enter my giveaways?