Burlap and white accents are “in” for this years’ fall decor. On a recent trip to my local craft store I decided to pick up items to create our own wreath. While it may be simpler to buy a pre-made wreath, this tutorial will show you just how easy it is to pull of a hand crafted fall wreath in just a few simple steps. Even with store sale prices I was able to create this beautiful door wreath for less money, and with little time.
Simple Fall DIY Wreath Tutorial
What you’ll need:
- 8″ -10″ Grapevine Wreath
- Burlap Ribbon
- Fall decor (berries, leaves, pumpkin, sunflowers)
- Floral Wire (optional)
- Door wreath hanger (alternative option show below)
- Begin the craft by cutting some burlap ribbon to tie around the top of your wreath and create a bow.
- Next place your pumpkin and sunflowers on the wreath. The pieces I selected had bendable stems so I secured them by wrapping the end around one or two of the sticks within the wreath. Another option is to use a small piece of floral wire around the stems of the decor to hold it in place. You will need wire cutters if you go this route.
- Finally place your berries and fall leaves on the wreath, repeating either method in step 2.
- Lastly hang your door wreath.
Yes – is is that simple to create this DIY wreath!
If you are silly, like myself, and forget to purchase a door wreath hanger, here is another option. If you happen to have a Command Hook on hand, place it on the inside of your door upside down. Next, tie some sturdy string around the hook. (I wrapped it around a few times) Tie the other end of the string to the top of your wreath. I used some remaining burlap to hide the string and the command hook on the inside of the door.
Voila! You have a beautifully handcrafted DIY wreath by yours truly!
This fall wreath idea is simple enough to include the kids in the process too! My boys enjoyed helping me pick out the berries and other decor at the store, then helped me place it on the wreath once home. Looking for more fall crafts? Here’s 15 additional DIY Fall Decorating Ideas.
Sarah @ SarahTitus.com says
Very cute! I especially like the burlap bow. Thank you for sharing on Frugal Friday. 🙂
Jennifer H says
Melissa S says
I love this, I need a wreath for thanksgiving. I never thought of hanging my wreath with the hook inside, that is a good tip.
Janet W. says
I love the fall colors! This would look great on my door too. I’d love to make a wreath!
Julie Wood says
This is a really pretty wreath! I love how nice it turned out. I would love to make one of these for my front door!
This wreath came out so nice. I love making wreaths, they got strict about not putting anything on our doors, so I didn’t make one this year.