We were invited as media to cover this event. No additional compensation was received. All opinions are my own.
SeaWorld Celebrates 50 Years with an eighteen month celebration – beginning today! The first SeaWorld park (San Diego) opened March 1964, while SeaWorld Orlando opened 9 years later in 1973. Upon arriving into SeaWorld Orlando theme park, you will notice a new wall detailing the timeline of SeaWorld’s 50 years. Be sure to stop by and experience the journey.
SeaWorld’s 50th Celebration features a Sea of Surprises™ highlighting the most memorable SeaWorld experiences in San Diego, Orlando and San Antonio.
“For nearly five decades, SeaWorld has surprised and amazed guests with unique entertainment, thrilling rides and up-close encounters with animals.”
This morning’s presentation kicked off the celebration with Park President Terry Prather, who took time to thank all the dedicated staff, sponsors, and park guests. He also shared details about exciting highlights we can expect during the eighteen month-long celebration.
To showcase SeaWorld’s commitment to the environment and passion for protecting the ocean, four giant sea life sculptures will be displayed at the SEA Garden. SeaWorld commissioned environmental art group The Washed Ashore Project for a collection of larger-than-life sea-themed sculptures – many weighing more than half a ton. The material used to create these pieces comes from the billions of pounds of garbage – mostly plastics – that wind up in our oceans. These amazing works of art point to the urgent need to protect marine animals from such dangers and preserve their ocean habitats. On display at SeaWorld Orlando are a parrot fish, sea horse, sea anemone reef and octopus.
Just look at how beautifully the artwork turned out!
Their octopus art looks eerily similar to their in-house octopus located near Manta rollercoaster.
I just love all the detail put into these pieces, and what’s more amazing is that it’s garbage found in our oceans!
Park pathways come to life with spontaneous entertainment. “Bubble Blowout” is sure to be a guest favorite with a fantastical vehicle creating bubbles of all sizes and shapes throughout Shamu’s Happy Harbor. Engaging performances with sea-inspired costumes and props will pop up at unexpected moments to surprise guests throughout the day, like “Splash Dance,” near Nautilus Theater.
Other #SeaofSurprises highlights include:
- The “SeaWorld® Surprise Squad” will roam SeaWorld Orlando on a daily basis giving away, at random, prizes and special gifts, including exclusive access to rides, behind-the-scenes experiences, Shamu-themed merchandise, reserved show seating and more.*
- On June 21, a new nighttime Shamu show, “Shamu’s Celebration: Light Up The Night”, debuts. The high energy show will include new, original music and production elements, as well as new killer whale behaviors. The daytime Shamu show returns from its short hiatus on April 11th.
- SeaWorld guests are often greeted by an animal ambassador, many of whom were orphaned or injured in the wild and given a second chance thanks to the SeaWorld Animal Rescue Team. As part of SeaWorld’s 50th Celebration, there will be more surprise encounters with animal ambassadors throughout the day.
- As part of its continuing commitment to new technology that enhances the guest experience, SeaWorld’s 50th Celebration will include new ways for fans to connect to the parks and each other though digital devices. The parks will be launching a variety of enhancements, from interactive apps that provide fun new ways to experience the park to new games and video content.
Plus don’t forget to visit SeaWorld Orlando’s latest attraction: Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin.
Special ticket offers for SeaWorld Florida
The best way to experience SeaWorld’s 50th Celebration is with one of the following ticket offers:
· 50% Off Celebration Ticket — Buy one ticket and get 50 percent off another.
· Celebrate the weekdays with SeaWorld Orlando’s $50 Weekday Ticket.
* SeaWorld® Surprise Squad: No purchase or park visit necessary. Open to park visitors and to legal residents of the 50 United States (D.C.) 18 years and older. Void where prohibited. Sweepstakes ends 9/7/15. For Official Rules, how to enter by mail, prize descriptions and odds disclosure, visit Guest Services or SeaWorld.com/OfficialRules.
SeaWorld has saved more than 23,000 animals and continues to educate people from around the globe on how to properly preserve and protect marine life.SeaWorld Orlando is located at: 7007 Sea World Dr, Orlando, FL 32821 For tickets and information call (888) 800-5447 or visit SeaWorldOrlando.com
Christina Flores Pozzo says
Your post about your Sea World adventures always look fun, we are looking into an annual pass thanks to your post 🙂
Cheryl Reinhardt says
Sea World looks like a great time. Loved the Sea Horse Picture and can’t believe they are 50 years old !
Kait (@HHandHotDeals) says
There used toe be a Seaworld in Ohio when I was little. I have to be honest I loved it but the whole Blackfish thing kinda makes me sad.
Tonya Prater (@travelermom) says
We used to have a Sea World in Ohio and I loved visiting with my family. I’ll be in Orlando in May and I’m thinking about visiting. I can’t believe they’re 50 years old!
Kelly @ Texas Type A Mom says
This 50th anniversary event might be the only way to make Sea World even more fun than it already is!
We haven’t been to a Sea World in years! The last time we were there was 15 years ago, I bet a lot has changed. We did try and go to the one in San Antonio when we were visiting in January, only to find out they were closed for the month – that was a bummer 🙁
Carissa Joslyn says
I’ve been to Sea world in Florida I think when I was 12, and then I took my son to one in Cali when I was 22! although the day after on the news it had said one of the Orca Whales had passed away, that was in the show..kind of sad.
Jennifer H says
aww that is sad Carissa 🙁
I’ve never been to Sea World but I’d sure love to go one day, looks fun!
Karen Glatt says
I would love to go to Sea World! Happy Birthday to Sea World. The penguins are so cute! I have to go see this place someday!
I’ve never been to Sea World. I lived in CA, but Marine World was closer for us.
wow it’s been 50 years!! Happy Birthday Sea World! I wish i can go back to visit again!!
Growing up in San Diego, we used to go to SeaWorld every single school year from Kindergarten to my senior year when we had a school dance there. So many fond memories.
Jennifer H says
Wow, that’s awesome having a dance there! We did lots of field trips to the Orlando one, but I don’t think it was every year.
Im bummed. You all are having so much fun. I love the picture of the seahorse. All the great memories you are creating how awesome it that. Fun fun fun….
alicia k says
we just went to SeaWorld in September and loved it!
Janet W. says
I would love to check out their new Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin! I haven’t been in years, and would love to take my grandsons to enjoy this wonderful attraction.