Guess where I spent the weekend? In Philadelphia! This was my first time visiting the city, and it was quite the savory one. I ate my way through the city (all for work of course). 😉 Once home, I was inspired to brush up on my baking skills. Check out this amazing Samoa Cake with homemade chocolate syrup, and grab the recipe below.
Samoa Cake with Homemade Chocolate Syrup
First let’s begin with the Samoa Cake!
Ingredients for the cake:
½ Cup sugar
1 ½ Cups flour
½ Cup butter
½ Cup water
½ Cup cocoa powder
1 Tsp baking powder
1 Tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting:
½ Cup butter
2 Cups powdered sugar
2 Tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well until there are no lumps in the batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased cake pan.
- Take to the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until done.
- For the frosting: add the butter to a bowl and mix for 3 minutes or until fluffy. Incorporate the powdered sugar and the vanilla extract and continue mixing until light and airy.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down for 10 minutes.
- Then remove the cake from the cake pan and let it cool for 20 minutes.
- Decorate with frosting.
Now it’s time for the chocolate!
Ingredients for Chocolate Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup natural cocoa powder
- Dash of table salt
- 3/4 cup water
- Whisk the sugar, cocoa, and salt together in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan. Gradually whisk 3/4 cup of water to dissolve the cocoa mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking often. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook at a brisk simmer until syrup is reduced to about 1 1/4 cups.
- Transfer the syrup to a container and let cool completely. (The syrup can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 weeks.)
- Finally, top the Samoa Cake with toasted coconut chips and swirls of chocolate syrup. Serve and enjoy!
*Tip: Toast coconut chips by taking them to a pan, add some maple syrup and cook them for a couple of minutes over medium heat.
Pin this recipe below!
Doesn’t that sound (and look) amazing? It really is! For other delectable dessert recipes, check out my dessert section.