STI – The Drive Experience Company loaned me this vehicle for review. No additional compensation was received.
Recently we had the opportunity to test out the 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander ES in Diamond White. I’ve never owned a Mitsubishi and was quite impressed with this stylish vehicle that offers plenty of signature features.
For starters this crossover SUV is seated for 7 passengers! Yep, that’s right – family and friends can all fit comfortably into the Mitsubishi Outlander. The 6.1-inch touchscreen display with rearview camera is convenient and a nice upgrade. What’s under the hood? A 224-hp, 3.0-liter MIVEC V6 engine.
Here’s some of the standard features included in the 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander ES:
- Rain sensing windshield wipers
- Front dual-zone climate control
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- SiriusXM®™ Satellite Radio
- Voice-Activated, Bluetooth® hands free phone system
- FAST-Key passive entry system with panic alarm
- One stop start/stop engine switch
- ECO Mode switch
- Anti-theft security alarm system
- Heated front seats
- Wood-grain appearance trim panels
- Power doors, locks, and side view mirrors
Anytime we can bring the outdoors in is great in my book. We appreciated cruising around in the Outlander with the sunroof open. The boys especially enjoyed that feature.
As I mentioned in the beginning, the Outlander seats 7 passengers. The third row offers a 50/50 fold-down feature and includes cup holders as well. The second row can also be 60/40 fold-down seating.
Here I’m showing you the second row with the option for full seating, or with the center seat armrest and cup holders. We were able to fit a car seat and booster seat comfortably in the second row.
One of my favorite features that comes standard with the Outlander is the convenient handsfree power liftgate. You have the option to open the rear door with a button on the keyfob, car dashboard or at the liftgate.
This came in handy with loading and unloading groceries, the kids bikes, stroller gear, and more. I think many families can appreciate a feature like this.
Because safety is of utmost importance, especially when you are toting around a family, I was most impressed with the safety features included with the 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander ES. For the second year in a row IIHS has selected this vehicle as a top safety pick. The Outlander includes 7 airbags, including a driver’s knee airbag. I honestly hadn’t heard of a knee airbag until now, but it makes sense for front end collision when protecting the driver’s lower body.
My favorite safety feature is the Voice-activated, Bluetooth hands free phone system. With a touch of a button on the steering wheel or large touchscreen I could answer and end phone calls. It was extremely convenient for me being a mom on the go.
All-new advanced safety features include:
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system uses an onboard camera to monitor lane position in front of the vehicle, alerting the driver if it detects the vehicle leaving its lane.
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) system uses 77GHz radar technology to accurately judge distances between you and the vehicle ahead, helping you maintain a safe driving distance.
- Forward Collision Mitigation (FCM) system can help you avoid accidents – and even automatically apply the brakes, if necessary.
Because of all these outstanding safety features I can see the Outlander being a great #FirstRide for a high school or college student, and even an expanding family.
The 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander ES begins at $22,995, which is a great price for everything that’s included. For additional information and features, head to mitsubishicars.com.