Publix and Meijer are partnering with Produce for Kids® for the 12th Get Healthy, Give Hope campaign to raise money for children’s organizations. The best part (besides fruits and veggies, of course): ALL funds raised stay local and go to area children’s organizations!
John Shuman, president of Produce for Kids mentions, “Produce for Kids is committed to educating families on the benefits of healthy eating and inspiring parents and children to create nutritious and delicious meals together.” By partnering with retailers across the nation, they hope to pass 5 million in contributions for 2014! To help Publix increase its donation, shoppers are encouraged from May 29 to June 26 to add more produce to their grocery carts. All 12 participating fruit and vegetable suppliers will make a consumption-based donation to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.
“We have partnered with Produce for Kids for more than a decade to help educate our customers about the importance of healthy eating,” said Maria Brous, media and community relations director for Publix.
What fruit and veggies will you be picking up at Publix or Meijer this summer? Produce for Kids and Publix have created a few simple, and yummy recipes to help families focus on eating healthy.
Sunny Breakfast Skewers
- 1/2 cup natural nut butter
- 3 Tbsp. sweetened shredded coconut
- 4 frozen whole wheat waffles cooked according to package directions
- 1 Chiquita® banana cut into 8 pieces
- 1 Coast Tropical mango peeled, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 slices pineapple cut into 4 pieces
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
Mix nut butter and coconut in small bowl.
Spread onto one side of each waffle and cut into 4 pieces.
Toss banana, mango, pineapple and lime juice in another bowl.
Thread pineapple, waffle and mango onto 6-inch skewers.
Recipe NotesSuggested sides for a complete meal: • A glass of Minute Maid® Pure Squeezed Orange Juice
Bow Ties & Veggies
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ?2 large Little Bear Brand Vidalia® sweet onion sliced
- 1 ?2 cup Andy Boy® broccoli chopped
- 1 ?2 cup cauliflower chopped
- 1 ?2 cup rainbow bell peppers chopped
- 2 cups bow tie pasta prepared according to package directions
- 1 ?2 cup cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1 ?2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 ?2 cup strawberries sliced
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; add onions, broccoli/cauliflower and peppers, and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
Reduce heat to low; add cooked pasta and tomatoes, and heat 1 minute or until warm.
Top with cheese and strawberries.
For a complete meal, serve Bow Ties & Veggies with:
• Fresh Express® packaged salad topped with radish, avocado, cucumber and lowfat Marie’s® salad dressing
• A glass of Bolthouse Farms® juice
For more information on the Get Healthy, Give Hope Campaign, head to Produce for Kids on Facebook.