Being a homeowner is so rewarding, but it also comes with a lot of responsibility. Maintaining appliances big and small are important to the health of your family, and the upkeep of your home’s value as well. Did you know homeowners suffer the most from Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning, also known as the “silent killer?” Do you have a Carbon Monoxide Alarm?
CO is a tasteless, colorless, odorless gas that can be produced by the combustion that occurs in appliances like furnaces, clothes dryers, ranges, ovens, water heaters, attached garages and fireplaces. Today, I’m sharing a simple way to protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning with a Onelink Environment Monitor.
This is a partnered post with First Alert. All opinions are my own.
Carbon Monoxide Symptoms
CO poisoning symptoms can appear very similar to food poisoning. Depending on the length of exposure, CO symptoms may be:
- weakness and clumsiness
- nausea and vomiting
- quick irregular heartbeat
- chest pain
- hearing loss
- blurry vision
- disorientation or confusion seizures
The best way to determine if you are being exposed to CO in your home, particulary low-levels, is with a Carbon Monoxide Alarm, like the OneLink Environment Monitor.
Levels of CO
- 9 PPM and below is the recommended indoor CO level.
- 10-24 PPM can have possible health effects with long-term exposure.
- 100 PPM you may experience light headaches after 1-2 hours.
- 200 PPM symptoms include dizziness, naseau, fagitue, headache after 2-3 hours of exposure.
- 400 PPM is life threatening within 3 hours.
Carbon Monoxide Scare
I have to share a scenario that very well could’ve been CO poisoning that we recently encountered. After returning home from a trip, I went to bed and woke up around 2am with symptoms similar to food poisoning. I was really confused because I hadn’t eaten anything out of the ordinary, and felt fine when I went to bed. A few hours later my husband woke up with similar symptoms. He had not been on the trip with me, so food poisoning didn’t make sense as the culprit.
A few weeks later, we learned that our A/C unit (in a closet outside our bedroom) was leaking freon. In addition to exhausting itself of freon, the coil from the 3 year old unit was defective the tech said, and needed to be fully replaced. Coincidence? I think not, especially since there’s a settlement against Lennox Industries Inc for faulty coils, and my unit qualified for that settlement.
How am I preventing CO exposures now?
I’ve taken measures to keep my family safe with a simple solution – First Alert’s Onelink Environment Monitor, currently on sale for less than $65!
How this Carbon Monoxide Alarm Helps
First Alert, one of the most trusted brands in home safety, is providing protection against exposure to carbon monoxide (CO). The new Onelink Environment Monitor features advanced sensing technologies to monitor both high and low levels of CO, both of which can be hazardous to human health. This first-of-its-kind innovation uses Apple’s HomeKit technology to quickly notify users of environmental changes or dangers via their connected iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch). You can also sync the monitor to the free Onelink Home App.
The carbon monoxide alarm detects and notifies the user whenever CO readings register at or above 9PPM. When emergency levels of CO are detected, you are notified via the app, the light on the alarm flashes bright red, and the device emits a loud, 85 decibel alarm, alerting the area to evacuate.
It’s extremely easy to set-up and sync. This piece of mind is less than $100! Placement is recommended outside bedrooms. Since our home is a 2 level, we have one on each floor near the bedrooms. Now I can sleep soundly, knowing that this “silent killer” is not welcome in our home, and we’ll be alerted at first signs of exposure.
Is your home safe from Carbon Monoxide (CO) exposure?
Leave a Reply