This post is sponsored by Aveeno. All opinions are mine alone.
Winter months can be brutal! As temperatures and humidity levels drop those changes can affect your skin. In celebration of National Skin Care Month, I’ve teamed up with Aveeno to offer skin care tips to consider during the winter months.
Winter Skin Care Tips
- Have an oatmeal bath. They have long been recommended for people with a variety of sensitive skin conditions, but Aveeno Active Naturals Oat possesses a finely ground oat that locks in moisture and retains the soothing effects to nourish skin, making it great for everyone during winter months. Try Aveeno Soothing Bath Treatment. Remember, after being out in the cold, luke warm baths are more beneficial than steaming hot baths, which can actually break down the lipid barriers in the skin.
- Moisturize more. It’s essential for healthy skin, especially during the colder months. Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion is my go-to product year-round, but I apply it more often during the winter season. Dermatologist Dr. Lisa Chipps reminds us to moisturize our face too, “After you wash your face, gently pat it dry and immediately apply a good moisturizer to prevent moisture loss. Be sure to reach for a moisturizer with a SPF of 30 or higher. SPF is always important – yes, even in the winter! This helps to protect against aging skin concerns, sunburns and skin cancers caused by UV rays reflecting off of the snow and ice.”
- Hook up the humidifier. Central heat blasts warm air, but it lacks moisture, which causes our skin to dry out. Place a few small humidifiers around your home to help disperse moisture more evenly.
- Don’t forget your hands and feet. For feet, use exfoliants periodically to remove the dead skin. This will help moisturizers to sink in faster and deeper. For hands, wear gloves when outdoors, and moisturize often. The skin in your hands is much thinner, making it harder for them to stay moist. I reapply 2-3 times a day, and especially focus on a good slather just before hopping into bed.
- It matters inside too. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Eat a healthy diet, and sleep 7-8 hours a night.
Did you notice that gorgeous bag Aveeno sent me? I’m an Aveeno Ambassador and receive fun surprises in the mail a few times a year. Mochila Bags are a New Zealand family owned company. Their hand crafted mochilas are knitted by indigenous people who use only natural materials. Check out their full line at mochilabags.com.
Do you have any winter skin care tips that you’d like to share?