February is the peak of cold & flu season, and it seems like everywhere I turn on social media friends and family are miserable. What does your family do to stay safe and fight illnesses?
Here’s some Cold & Flu Prevention Tips courtesy of Lysol:
- Cleaning and disinfecting aren’t one in the same: cleaning only removes germs from surfaces, whereas disinfecting actually destroys them. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) The flu virus can live on surfaces for up to 48 hours, so it’s important to disinfect regularly.
- Talk about another reason to disinfect those surfaces regularly: children can touch and retouch more than 300 surfaces in just 30 minutes. Imagine how much you could protect them – and prevent them from spreading germs – by switching from cleaning to disinfecting! (CDC)
- Frequent hand washing is a key way to preventing cold and flu. However, one study found that the majority of respondents (53%) only wash their hands for 10 seconds or less after using the toilet when the optimal time for washing is 20 seconds. (Global Hygiene Council)
- Avoid touching your mouth, nose and eyes. This is how you transfer the germs that can make you sick.
- Some other recommendations from CDC include: getting plenty of sleep, managing stress, drinking plenty of fluids, and staying active.
- When out and about: In restrooms specifically, try to avoid touching surfaces like faucets, doorknobs and flush handles. Flush with your foot, and use your paper towel to turn water off and open the door to leave; then throw the towel away. (I totally do this!)
Armed with our Lysol Cold & Flu Prevention Pack, our family took on the challenge to remain healthy through this cold & flu season. How are we faring so far? Well, I’m already OCD about everyone washing hands and sanitizing often, but we took the advice above from the Global Hygiene Council and made sure we washed our hands for at least 20 seconds. Next, I used the Lysol Disinfecting Wipes to clean surfaces even more often than I usually do. So far, so good!
Find even more Cold & Fly Prevention Tips at lysol.com.