Publix and Meijer are partnering with Produce for Kids® for the 12th Get Healthy, Give Hope campaign to raise money for children’s organizations. The best part (besides fruits and veggies, of course): ALL funds raised stay local and go to area children’s organizations!
John Shuman, president of Produce for Kids mentions, “Produce for Kids is committed to educating families on the benefits of healthy eating and inspiring parents and children to create nutritious and delicious meals together.” By partnering with retailers across the nation, they hope to pass 5 million in contributions for 2014! To help Publix increase its donation, shoppers are encouraged from May 29 to June 26 to add more produce to their grocery carts. All 12 participating fruit and vegetable suppliers will make a consumption-based donation to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.
“We have partnered with Produce for Kids for more than a decade to help educate our customers about the importance of healthy eating,” said Maria Brous, media and community relations director for Publix.
What fruit and veggies will you be picking up at Publix or Meijer this summer? Produce for Kids and Publix have created a few simple, and yummy recipes to help families focus on eating healthy.
Recipe created by Christine Pittman in partnership with Produce for Kids Ingredients Instructions Notes Suggested sides for a complete meal: • A glass of Minute Maid® Pure Squeezed Orange Juice
Recipe created by Christine Pittman in partnership with Produce for Kids
Suggested sides for a complete meal:
• A glass of Minute Maid® Pure Squeezed Orange Juice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 large Little Bear Brand Vidalia® sweet onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup Andy Boy® broccoli, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup rainbow bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cups bow tie pasta, prepared according to package directions
- 1⁄2 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup strawberries, sliced
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; add onions, broccoli/cauliflower and peppers, and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
- Reduce heat to low; add cooked pasta and tomatoes, and heat 1 minute or until warm.
- Top with cheese and strawberries.
- • Fresh Express® packaged salad topped with radish, avocado, cucumber and lowfat Marie’s® salad dressing
- • A glass of Bolthouse Farms® juice